Skip to main content

How Do I . . . ?: U-Pass

Pick up Location

U-Passes can be picked up at the Payments Office - Location: Room N, 216 (second floor of the North Building); Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:15am-4:30pm & Wednesday: 8:15am-6:45pm



1. Who is eligible?
The U-Pass is available to both full and part time credit undergraduate students taking at least one class per semester on campus at the participating colleges and universities. Quinebaug, Northwestern and Naugatuck Valley Community Colleges and Eastern and Western CT State Universities are not participating in the program in the fall of 2017. In addition, at this time graduate students as well as exclusively online, non-credit and early college/high school students are not eligible for the program.

2. For how long is the pass effective?
The fall semester U-Pass covers August 1-December 31, 2017. The spring semester U-Pass covers January 1-July 30, 2018.  

3. What is the cost?
Each student is charged $20 per semester for the pass. The DOT has set this special rate for our students only; normal cost to the public is $63 per month. The transportation fee is considered an institutional charge so financial aid may be applied.  

4. How do students get the U-PASS?
System office will get the passes to each school by August 1 and December 15 for distribution prior to the start of the term.  There will be enough passes for all students but students are not obligated to pick up or use the card. Each school will keep a log of all passes disseminated with the student name and pass number to be submitted with their transfer of funds to System Office.  

5. What is required for students to use pass and on what types of transportation can it be used?
Students must have a valid student ID to show along with their pass when using the transportation systems. Students can use the unlimited semester pass to travel within the state on rail or bus including CTtransit and CTfastrak, but excluding Amtrak.

Have your U-Pass and valid student ID ready when you board any of these services:

  • Greater Bridgeport Transit (gbt)
  • Norwalk Transit Housatonic Area Regional Transit (HARTtransit)
  • Milford Transit South East Area Transit (SEAT)
  • Windham Region Transit District (WRTD)
  • Magic Carpet Northwestern CT Transit District (NWCTD)
  • 9 TownTransit/Estuary Transit District Middletown Area Transit (MAT)
  • CTtransit & CTtransit Express: Hartford, New Haven, Waterbury, Stamford, New Britain, Bristol, Meriden, Wallingford
  • CTfastrak New Haven Line (intrastate travel only. Not valid for travel to NYC)

6. What happens if student loses pass?
Schools may use their discretion on whether to charge a fee for replacement, but it is preferable that a student only be given one replacement pass per semester. After that, they must wait for the next semester to get a new pass.  

7. What happens if student attends multiple CSCU schools?
The student should only be charged once for the pass. Students will have to request a waiver after the payment of the first fee. 

8. Is the fee refundable if student withdraws?
Student fees, which include the transportation fee, are generally non-refundable. Schools may use their discretion on this matter but because the student’s U-Pass would be active until the end of the semester, schools should only refund the fee if the U-Pass is returned. Schools will not be reimbursed for waived fees once the transfer of funds to system office has been made and DOT paid.  

9. How will the funds be paid to DOT and by whom?
Payment will be made by System Office to DOT twice a year and collected from each institution as part of the system operating transfer based on the actual amount collected by enrollment census date.

10. Who do colleges contact with problems?
Alice Pritchard, Chief of Staff or Erika Steiner, Chief Financial Officer at System Office are serving as the point people for this program.


Gateway Library & Learning Commons | 20 Church Street, New Haven, CT 06510